Congratulations to Dr. Jie Yang! She has a new book on the mental health in China, to be out soon. See attached cover.
She is also an award winner:
Her 2015 book on China, Unknotting the Heart, won an American Anthropological association Francis Hsu book Prize:
Call for paper submission on Migration. Requirements in English; Requirements in Spanish. new
Dear Louise, new
hi. How are you? My maiden book has been released today, please share it with our group.
Dr Meetu Khosla.
My new article on African psychology has just been published in Theory and Psychology： new
I argue that the Africanization of psychology in South Africa requires a replacement of the usual cultural considerations with the question of (structural) violence.
Dr Wahbie Long
Reviews the book, A History of “Relevance” in Psychology by Wahbie Long. Abstract new
Becker, Brian W. & Macdonald, Heather (2017) Does psychology “matter”? An analysis of “relevance” in South African psychology. PsycCRITIQUES, Vol 62(6), 2017, No Pagination Specified. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0040725
- Indigenizing the Curriculum
- Society for the Phenomenology of Religious Experience (SOPHERE), webinar Spring 2017 syllabus PDF
Research Participation needed
We are happy to inform that the journal Philosophia (Publisher, Springer; Editor-in-Chief Asa Kasher), will publish twice a year a special issue on topics concerning the Philosophy of Emotion. We invite you to submit your manuscripts for the second special issue. Please submit your manuscript (about 8000 words) via this link:
When submitting, please indicate that your article is meant for the special issue on the Philosophy of Emotion. The submission deadline is 1/3/17; publication date: 2017.
Aaron Ben-Ze’ev, Angelika Krebs, Anthony Hatzimoysis
It is with great regret and sorrow I write to inform you Paul B. Pedersen, and iconic leader in cross-cultural counseling and therapy, passed away in Minneapolis, Minnesota, following a long and valiant struggle with Parkinsons'. His family and close friends grieve for him. A later announcement will provide details of memorial services.
In accord with Paul's request, I include a memorial tribute I wrote for Paul. May this tribute console and heal our tragic loss of his life.
New Master's Degree Program in Culturally Adaptive Leadership Relevant to Indigenous Psychology
Jerry Glover and I are involved in developing a new MSc program that might interest some on the Indigenous Psychology listserv. Could you post the below flyer (and include mention that, in contrast to many leadership programs, this one will be very culturally relevant to those with interests in Indigenous Psychology)?
Harris L. Friedman, PhD
- CFP: Journal of Philosophy of Emotion
The Journal of Philosophy of Emotion is interested in publishing papers on the biases, implicit biases, emotions, and society. For details, please see the CFP by following this link:http://shoutout.wix.com/so/1LaBkm0D#/main
- Tenure-track Positions at McGill in Indigenous Psychology
- Workshop on Transforming Humiliation and Violent Conflict
- You are Warmly Invited to the Launch of Evelin Lindner's New Book!
- Dear Colleagues,
Journal for the Theory of Social Behaviour has again joined with the Independent Social Research Foundation to award an Essay prize of 7000 CHF (7070 USD). The deadline is 31st March 2017, and more details can be found at:
Please let interested colleagues and students know about this exciting opportunity.
Alex Gillespie and Doug Porpora
Journal for the Theory of Social Behaviour
- History of Psychology invites submissions for a special issue on the history of psychology and psychiatry in the global world new
- Interdisciplinary postdoctoral position in Society & Neuroscience new
- Mapping the Contour of Second Wave Positive Psychology (PP 2.0)
- Series in Indigenous Studies by Canadian Scholars
- U Michigan Psychology Diversity Combined Postdoc/Faculty Position Announcement
- Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Clinical Psychology at College of the Holy Cross, Department of Psychology
- Tenure Track Position in Indigenous Psychology (University of Calgary)
This position is one of several in the Faculty of Arts that are devoted to research and teaching in indigenous studies. We are very pleased to have this opportunity. Below you will find a brief description, but I am also attaching the full ad. We would appreciate your distributing this information to anyone who may be eligible for the position.
The Department of Psychology invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Indigenous Psychology. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2017. Specific area of research within the domain of Indigenous Psychology is open, but it is expected that applicants' research and practice will be relevant to Canada's indigenous peoples. The full ad can be accessed through this link: http://bit.ly/2c87KzG .
Questions can be addressed to the Chair of the Indigenous Psychology Search Committee, H. Lorraine Radtke (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
H. Lorraine Radtke, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of Calgary
- IP--[FQS] Newsletter July 2016
- Book series on IP: Palgrave Studies in Indigenous Psychology
- A video produced by Rabbi Zalman Kastel, Director of Together For Humanity
- Dueck, A., Ansloos, J., Johnson, A., & Fort, C., (2016). Western psychology of religion - Altnernatives to ideology. New York Springer. 10.1007_s11089-016-0731-3
- Dueck, A. & Johnson, A. (2016). Cultural psychology of religion- Spiritual transformation. Pastoral Psychology. 65(3), 299-328. doi-10.1007_s11089-016-0690-8
- New book: Critical mindfulness: Exploring Langerian Models by Fatemi, Sayyed Mohsen
- New edition of "Take a Look" by Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies, World Dignity University Initative, Dignity Press, Dialogue Home-PDX, Portland, OR 97035
- New book: The aesthetics of emotion: Up the down staircase of the mind-body by Gerald Cupchik
- New book: A History of 'Relevance' in Psychology written by Dr. Wahbie Long and published by Palgrave Macmillan
- Dear Members of the Task Force,
Attached please find a call for nominations/applications for the Hans-Kilian-Award 2017. I am sure that there are many colleagues among the task force group that would be eligible for the award. You can either nominate someone or you can apply yourself.
The nomination/application form can be downloaded from the following website:
Please note that the deadline for nominations or applications is 30th of June, 2016.
An important science and religion dialogue takes place every year at the IRAS Conference. This year Louise Sundararajan will be one of the Plenary speakers.
Abstracts, Biosketches, Recommended Readings, and Position Papers are available on the IRAS Website www.iras.org, or via the link below. Note that you do need to click on the paper title to get the full position paper.
The presentations will be published in Zygon: Journal of Religion and Science for a special section after this conference.
Call for manuscripts - Journal of Indigenous Wellbeing
I would like to inform you that FQS 17(2) is available online (see http://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs/issue/view/55 for the current issue and http://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs/issue/archive for former issues). Besides a collection of single contributions, FQS 17(2) provides contributions to the FQS Debates on "Qualitative Research and Ethics" and "Quality of Qualitative Research," an interview with Howard S. Becker and Reiner Keller, and articles belonging to FQS Conferences and FQS Reviews. All in all, 71 authors from nine countries contributed to FQS 17(2).
A. FQS 17(2)
B. Conferences and Workshops
D. Open Access News
Ps: FQS is an open-access journal, so all articles are available free of charge. This newsletter is sent to 19.088 registered readers; registered readers can comment on each article online.
Michael North and Xiaofang have created a 90 minute film about Zhou Enlai, and it will be in English and in Chinese.
The director, Xiaofang, talks about the program, its purpose and message:
Three short interview excerpts, with leading people in China who have direct connection to Zhou Enlai:
Speakers at the first preview showing event, at Roger’s office at Cades-Schutte a few weeks ago:
Kind regards Michelle
Holistic Conflict Resolution Consultant
Reg. Family Dispute Resolving Practitioner
Phone Sydney Australia (02) 9389 2005
Today I would like to draw your attention to the following news in [FQS] Newsletter March 2016
A. Articles, published in FQS in March 2016
B. Conferences and Workshops
C. Open Access News
[FQS] Newsletter March 2016 is sent to 18.666 registered readers.
It is my pleasure to announce that the first special section (to my knowledge) on the existential-humanistic integration of psychotherapy is now published online (and soon be printed in hardcopy) by the Society for the Exploration of Psychotherapy (SEPI) Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 26, March 2016. This is a breakthrough issue that contains a rich array of perspectives, within which I was honored to play a part. Below is an abstract of the opening article by the Editors, Golan Shahar and Moran Schiller. This is an "open access" article so should be accessible at the SEPI site. See
PS: The intensity of the tone is worth noting, as many of us in the existential-humanistic field don't often consider ourselves as "having taken over the field of clinical psychology"--far from it. However it is noteworthy that many therapists apparently see it this way, or see this as the trend line at any rate. Abstract
Some of the folks on your list . . . especially those engaged in “child/human development” scholarship . . . may be interested in the lead section of this recent issue of Developments (newsletter of the Society for Research in Child Development).
- Important international leadership opportunity at APA
- A book for the Chinese New Year: “Chinese New Year and psychology” by OUPblog (Oxford University Press's Academic Insights for the Thinking World)
- Pacifica Graduate Institute is holding an anniversary conference entitled Climates of Change and the Therapy of Ideas in late April.
- The Journal of Positive Psychology: Dedicated to furthering research and promoting good practice. Author's notes
- EXISTENTIAL THERAPY, Asian developments
- Philosophy of Emotions (Athens) - new deadline
- Wampis Nation of Peruvian Amazon Declares Creation of First Autonomous Indigenous Government in Peru
- Review of Understanding Emotion in Chinese Culture
- Job Openning: Assistant Professor in Aboriginal Psychology, Department of Psychology
- Online publication of a new perspective on mindfulness
Creativity and Symmetry Restoration: Toward a Cognitive Account of Mindfulness. Sundararajan, Louise; Fatemi, Sayyed Mohsen. Journal of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology, Oct 26 , 2015, No Pagination Specified. Abstract
- INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF PSYCHOLOGY - ICP2016
Interested in international research collaboration? Attend the International Congress of Psychology, July 2016, in Yokohama Japan (www.icp2016.jp) as part of the APA-USNC/Psychology mentoring program. Funding of up to $2400 is available to U.S. based Early Career and Graduate Student research psychologists who want to collaborate internationally (mentees), and to Mid-career/Senior research psychologists with experience in international collaborations/conferences (mentors). The program is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Eligible recipients must be engaged in research that falls under the purview of NSF programs including cognitive neuroscience, learning sciences, developmental sciences, perception action and cognition, social psychology, psycholinguistics, and judgment and decision-making. For more information, please visit:http://www.apa.org/about/awards/international-travel-mentoring.aspx. Deadline: December 1, 2015.
Sharon Asonganyi, MPH
Communications and Program Manager
Office of International Affairs
American Psychological Association
750 First Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: 202-336-6105 | Fax: 202-312-6499
Email: email@example.com | www.apa.org/international
Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies, October 2015
Dear Dr. Sundararajan,
My name is Helena Choi Soholm, and I've been a part of the Indigenous Psychology Task Force for several years. I am wondering if you can forward the below message to task force members.
I will be teaching a course called "Counseling Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders" in the Winter 2016 quarter at Antioch University (Seattle Campus). The students are in the master's program in counseling or marriage and family therapy. I would love some suggestions for textbooks or other reading materials for this class. I would also welcome video/film/other non-print material that may be relevant for the course.
Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions.
Helena Soholm, MA MTS
Licensed Mental Health Counselor
National Certified Counselor
- I would really like to put together a panel/symposium on terrorism and the processes of radicalization and de-radicalization that accompany both identifying with and then (for some) later de-identifying and leaving terrorist organizations. I am not wed to any one particular theme or theory. I would prefer that the participants bring various ideas to these topics and I think it would be wonderful to keep it as global as possible. My particular research focuses on the process of deradicalization among former members of white supremacist organizations.
In any case, I would love to connect with some other researchers along these related ideas even if the ideas seem more ancillary or distantly related.
Amy Fisher Smith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Psychology
University of Dallas
- CALL FOR INPUT ON THE HUMANISTIC-RELATIONAL
REFORM OF APA APPROVED GRAD TRAINING
- The European Philosophical Society for the Study of Emotions
invites submissions for two of its activities this year:
Workshop on Emotions and Conflict, to be held at the
University of Pisa, February, 3-5, 2016 (Deadline for
3rd Annual (Conference, to be held at the University of
Athens, June, 13-15, 2016 (Deadline for submission, 1/1/16)
2017 APA Convention--Student Travel Award new
Opportunity for late poster submissions for APA new
Psychology and the Other Conference Call for Proposals-- February 10th deadline new
AASP, call for papers
Psychology and the Other Conference 2017: Call for Proposals
The International Society of Research on Emotion (ISRE) call for papers
The Thirteenth International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry (QI2017) is reopening the deadline for paper, poster, and panel submissions until 15 January 2017. Submissions can be made at the link below: http://icqi.org/home/submission/
Psychology and the Other Conference
October 13-15th, 2017
Submission portal is now open and we welcome your proposal. This year's deadline is February 10th, 2017.
Phenomenology of Religious Experience - First Conference of the Research Circle in Phenomenology of Religious Experience, Nov. 4-5, 2016, Berkeley, Graduate Theological Union
Sponsoring Institution: Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute Program, Abstract
- Psychology and the Other Conference 2017: Save the Date and Call for Proposals
- Mental Health and Wellbeing at the Heart of the SDGs: Concrete Means of Implementation
Date: Wednesday 7 September 2016
Time: 3:00 - 6:00 P.M.
Venue: Conference Room 2, United Nations Headquarters NYC
- Call for Abstracts:
“Philosophical Perspectives on Critical Psychiatry: Challenges and Opportunities”
29th ANNUAL MEETING, May 20-21, 2017, San Diego, California
By Association for the Advancement of Philosophy and Psychiatry
Conference co-chairs: Christian Perring, Douglas Porter, and G. Scott Waterman
- ISTP 2017 The Ethos of Theorizing
17th Biennial Conference of the International Society for Theoretical Psychology
21st - 25th August 2017
- Division 48
Session Type: Symposium
Session Title: Terrorism From the Inside Out---Exploring the Structures, Scope, and Impact of Modern Terrorism
Your Role: Participant/1stAuthor (Priscilla Dass-Brailsford)
Presentation Title: The Psychological Effects of Terrorism: Identifying Individual and Community Coping Strategies
Date & Time: Fri 8/5/2016 11:00 AM - 11:50 AM
- Division 1, General Psychology: Suite Program
Hyatt Hotel (specific room number TBA)
Questions? Email Division 1 ECP Representative Emily Dow: email@example.com
Saturday, August 6
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Toward a Universal Psychology?: Global Perspectives
Grant J. Rich, Consulting Psychologist
- Symposium (A): Consciousness and Awe---Alternative Cultural Paradigms in Research and Practice
Date & Time: 8/4 Thu 12:00 PM - 1:50 PM
Location: Convention Center Rooms 108 and 110
Co-Listing Divisions: 1, 24, 26, 39
APA replication symposium
Date & Time: Thu 8/4/2016 2:00 pm - 3:50 pm
Location: Convention Center Room 203
Additional resources (if interested):
Cody Christopherson (member of the Open Science Collaborative, and part of our symposium) was kind enough to send a number of articles and resources about the replication "crisis," including very recent dialogues and developments.
The original Open Science Collaboration (OSC) article from Science, published in August last year
A response from Daniel Gilbert et al. that has received a lot of attention
OSC's rejoinder to Gilbert et al
Additional commentary by Brian Nosak (head of OSC)
Why Most Published Research Findings Are False (an earlier article by Ionnidis in 2005 on scientific research generally--a precursor to the OSC)
b. Summaries in the popular press
Failure is moving science forward (fivethirtyeight.com)
Psychology is in crisis over whether or not it's in crisis (wired.com)
Everything is crumbling (slate.com): This article incorporates a recent failure to replicate Baumeister's ego-depletion concept (based on a massive collaboration)
Symposium, Sponsored by Division 32 (Humanistic Psychology):
Indigenous Psychology--- New Developments in Theory and Research
Date & Time: Sun 8/7/2016 10:00 AM - 10:50 AM
Location: Convention Center Room 605
The same panel will also present at the Division 24 (Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology) Hospitality Suite Program:
Date & Time: Sat 8/6, 12:00 - 12:50 p.m.
Conversation Hour: What’s new in Indigenous Psychology?
Jahoda (2016) proclaimed that indigenous psychology is dead. Maybe he failed to recognize the new developments in this world wide intellectual movement?
HOW WE LIVE – Philosophy and Psychotherapy Conference
9 July 2016 8.30am –17.30pm
British Library Conference Centre
96 Euston Rd, London NW1 2DB
Join us to mark the 20th anniversary of the New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling
Keynote speakers: Julian Baggini Emmy van Deurzen Digby Tantam
- Chinese Psychology of Religion in an age of Perplexity - 10th Annual Cultural Psychology of Religion Conference, Qufu, Shandong, China, May 29-30, 2016.
- APA presentation on Psychology in the Caribbean
Meaning Conference Announcement
- Conference Invitation:
The 9th International Congress for Psychotherapy / Asian Chapter
Time: 18 to 20th of May 2016
Place: Tehran, Iran
- The 4th Biennial APA Division 45 Research Conference
Society for the Study of Culture, Ethnicity, and Race Research
July 7-9, 2016 at Stanford University
Co-hosted by Stanford University and Palo Alto University
- SQIP 2016 Conference: Call for Proposals