John Xuexin Zhang (张学新)
Professor of Psychology
Department of Psychology
220 Handan Road
Conduct cognitive neuroscience research with fMRI and ERP. Mainly interested in Chinese language processing, word recognition, and working memory.
Ph.D. - Cognitive psychology, Princeton University, May 1999.
M.S. - Psychophysics, University of Science and Technology of China, 1992.
B.A. - Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, 1989.
2013- now Professor, Department of Psychology, Fudan University
2006-2013 Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Chinese University of Hong Kong
2004-2006 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Psychology,
University of Hong Kong.
2002–2004 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Linguistics, Univ. of Hong Kong
2000-2002 Research Associate, Department of Psychology, Yale
1999-2000 Post-doctoral fellow, Department of Psychology, Princeton University
Press Release: Research on Chinese Characters Makes Cover Story in
Chinese Science Bulletin
- Ji B, Mei W, Zhang JX, & et al. (in press). Abnormal auditory sensory gating-out in first-episode and never-medicated paranoid schizophrenia patients: an fMRI study. Experimental Brain Research.
- Yin J, Zhang JX, Xie J, Zou ZL, Huang XT. (in press). Gender Differences in Perception of Romance in Chinese college students. PLoSOne.
- Du YC, Hu WP, Fang Z, Zhang JX. (in press). Electrophysiological correlates of morphological processing in Chinese compound word recognition. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
- Hu W, Lu Y, Ren CL, Zhang JX. (2013). ERP evidence for the time course of mental rotation in the mirror reading of Chinese words. Neuroscience Letters, 552, 151-155.
- Hu Wei, Lu Y, Wang LH, Zhang JX (2013). Sequence representation during response preparation in the serial reaction time task. NeuroReport, 24(10): 544-549.
- Jia XF, Wang SP, Zhang B, Zhang JX. (2013). Electrophysiological evidence for relation information activation in Chinese compound word comprehension. Neuropsychologia, 51, 1296-1301.
- Zhu ZD, Feng GY, Zhang JX, Li GC, Li H, Wang SP. (2013). The role of the left prefrontal cortex in sentence-level semantic integration. NeuroImage, 76,325-331.
- Kong LY, Zhang B, Zhang JX, Kang CP. (2012). P200 can be modulated by orthography alone in reading Chinese words. Neuroscience Letters, 529(2):161-5.
- Zhang JX, Xiao ZW, Weng XC. (2012). Neural evidence for direct meaning access from orthography in Chinese word reading. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 84, 240-245.
- Lu A, Zhang JX. (2012). Event-related potential evidence for the early activation of literal meaning during comprehension of conventional lexical metaphors. Neuropsychologia, 50(8), 1730-1738.
- Li L, Fan M, Sun B, Wang RM, Mo L, Zhang JX. (2012). Non-target language processing in Chinese-English bilinguals: a study of event-related potentials. Psychological Reports, 110(3), 935-945.
- Zhu Z, Hagoort P, Zhang JX, Feng G, Chen HC, Bastiaansen MC. (2012). Anterior left inferior frontal gyrus contributes to semantic unification. NeuroImage, 60(4): 2230-2237.
- Wang WN, Li XJ, Ning N, Zhang JX. (2012). The nature of the homophone density effect: An ERP study with Chinese spoken monosyllable homophones. Neuroscience Letters, 516, 67-71.
- Zhang JX, Fang Z, Du YC, et al. (2012). The centro-parietal N200: An event-related potential component specific to Chinese visual word recognition. Chin Sci Bull, 57(13),1516-32.
- Huang J, Zhu Z, Zhang JX, Wu MX, Chen HC, Wang SP. (2012). The role of left inferior frontal gyrus in explicit and implicit semantic processing. Brain Research, 1440, 56-64.
- Lu A, Liu J, Zhang JX. (2012). Event-related potentials reveal early activation of body part representations in action concept comprehension. Neuroscience Letters, 511, 74-78.
- Zhang B, Zhang JX, Huang S, Kong LY, Wang SP. (2011). Effects of load on the guidance of visual attention from working memory. Vision Research, 51, 2356-2361.
- Jin H, Xu G, Zhang JX, Gao H, Ye Z, Wang P, Lin H, Mo L, Lin CD. (2011). Event-related potential effects of superior action anticipation in professional badminton players. Neurosci Lett., 492 (3): 139-44.
- Gao J, Cheung RT, Lee TM, Chu LW, Chan YS, Mak HK, Zhang JX, Qiu D, Fung G, Cheung C. (2011). Possible retrogenesis observed with fiber tracking: An anteroposterior pattern of white matter disintegrity in normal aging and Alzheimer's Disease. J Alzheimers Dis., 26 (1): 47-58.
- Zou ZL, Zhang JX, Huang XT, & Weng XC (2011). Impaired directed forgetting in abstinent heroin addicts. Memory, 19 (1): 36-44.
- Hu ZG, Wang WJ, Liu HY, Peng DL, Yang YH, Li KC, Zhang JX, & Ding GS. (2011). Brain activations associated with sign production using word and picture inputs in deaf signers. Brain and Language, 116 (2), 64-70.
- Zhang B, Zhang JX, Kong LY, Huang S, Yue Z, Wang S. (2010). Guidance of visual attention from working memory contents depends on stimulus attributes. Neuroscience Letters, 486 (3): 202-6.
- Kong LY, Zhang JX, Ho CSH, Kang CP. (2010). Phonology and access to Chinese character meaning. Psychological Reports, 107 (3): 899-913.
- Jin H, Xue GP, Zhang JX, Ye Z, Wang SF, Zhao L., Lin CD, Mo L. (2010). Athletic training in badminton players modulates the early C1 component of visual evoked potentials: a preliminary investigation. Inter. J. Psychophysio. 78 (3): 308-314.
- Li QL, Bi HY, Zhang JX. (2010). Neural correlates of the orthographic neighborhood size effect in Chinese. European Journal of Neuroscience, 32, 866-872.
- Mei W, Zhang JX, Xiao ZW. (2010). Acute effects of sublingual buprenorphine on brain responses to heroin-related cues in early-abstinent heroin addicts: An uncontrolled trial. Neuroscience, 170, 808-815.
- Zhang JX, & et al. (2010). Electrophysiological correlates of proactive interference in the ‘Recent Probes’ verbal working memory task. Neuropsychologia, 48, 2167-2173.
- Kong LY, Zhang JX, & et al. (2010). P200 and phonological processing in Chinese word recognition. Neuroscience Letters, 473, 37-41.
- Wang ZX, Zhang JX, & et al. (2010). Alterations in the processing of non-drug-related affective stimuli in abstinent heroin addicts. NeuroImage, 49, 971-976.
- Huang ZR, Zhang JX, & et al. (2010). Verbal memory retrieval engages visual cortex in musicians. Neuroscience, 168, 179-189.
- Hu ZG, Liu HY, Zhang JX. (2010). Effects of material emotional valence on the time course of massive repetition priming. J. Psycholinguistic Research. 39, 199-211.
- Lu A, Xu GP, Jin H, Mo L, Zhang JJ, Zhang JX. (2010). Electrophysiological evidence for effects of color knowledge in object recognition. Neuroscience Letters, 469, 405-410.
- Zhang Q, Zhang JX, Kong LY. (2009). An ERP study on the time course of phonological and semantic activation in Chinese word recognition. Inter. J. Psychophysio., 73, 235-245.
- Lu AT, Hodges B, Zhang JJ, Zhang JX (2009). Contextual effects on number-time interaction. Cognition, 113, 117-122.
- Zhu ZD, Zhang JX, & et al. (2009). Involvement of left inferior frontal gyrus in sentence-level semantic integration. NeuroImage, 47, 756-763.
- Mak AKY, Hu ZG, Zhang JX, Xiao ZW, Lee TMC. (2009). Sex-related differences in neural activity during emotion regulation. Neuropsychologia, 47 (13).
- Jin H, Liu HL, Mo L, Fang SY, Zhang JX, Lin CD. (2009). Involvement of the left inferior frontal gyrus in predictive inference making. Inter. J. Psychophysio., 71, 142-148.
- Mak AKY, Hu ZG, Zhang JX, Xiao ZW, Lee, TMC. (2009). Neural correlates of regulation of positive and negative emotions: An fMRI study. Neuroscience Letters, 457, 101-106.
- Dong GZ, Yang Z, Zhang ZQ, Yu W, Li JW, He Y, Zhang JX, Weng XC (2009). Visual cortical activation during auditory word categorization: Evidence for multiple sensory interaction from normal sighted participants. Progress in Biochemistry and Biophysics, 36(8): 987-993.
- Du Y, Xiao ZW, Song Y, Fan S, Wu R, Zhang JX. (2008). An electrophysiological signature for proactive interference resolution in working memory. Inter. J. Psychophysio., 69, 107-111.
- Wang S, Zhu Z, Zhang JX, Wang ZX, Xiao ZW, Xiang H, Chen HC. (2008) Broca’s area plays a role in syntactic processing during Chinese reading comprehension, Neuropsychologia, 46, 1371-1378.
- Wang ZX, Xiao ZW, Liang CY, Zhang JX. (2008). Verbal working memory deficits in abstinent heroin abusers. Acta Neuropsychiatrica, 20, 265-268.
- Leung KK, Lee T, Xiao ZW, Wang ZX, Zhang JX, Yip P, Li L (2008). Neural activities for negative priming with affective stimuli: An fMRI study. Neuroscience Letters, 433(3): 194-198.
- Zhang YZ, Du YC, Zhang JX. (2008). Working memory selection and competition between target and distractor representations. Psychological Reports, 102, 194-212.
- Lin CY, Xiao ZW, Shen L, Zhang JX, Weng XC. (2007). Similar brain activation patterns for writing logographic and phonetic symbols in Chinese. NeuroReport, 18(15), 1621-1625.
- Niu W, Zhang JX, & Yang YR (2007). Deductive reasoning and creativity: A cross-cultural study. Psychological Reports, 100, 509-519.
- Lee TM, Zhang JX, & et al. (2006). Age-related differences in response regulation as revealed by functional MRI. Brain Research, 1076, 171-176.
- Xiao ZW, Lee TM, Zhang JX, & et al. (2006). Thirsty heroin addicts show different fMRI activations when exposed to water-related and drug-related cues. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 83, 157-162.
- Xiao ZW, Cao CY, Wang ZX, Li JX, Liao HY, Zhang JX. (2006). Changes of dopamine transporter function in striatum during acute morphine addiction and its abstinence in rhesus monkey. Chinese Medical Journal, 119(21): 1802-1807.
- Xiao ZW, Zhang JX, & et al. (2005). Differential activity in left inferior frontal gyrus for pseudo and real words: An event-related fMRI study on auditory lexical decision. Human Brain Mapping, 25, 212-221.
- Zhang JX, Zhuang J, Ma L, & et al. (2004). Semantic processing of Chinese in left inferior prefrontal cortex studied with reversible words. NeuroImage, 23(3), 975-82.
- Zhang JX, Feng CM, & et al. (2004). Is left inferior frontal gyrus (LIFG) a general mechanism for working memory selection? NeuroImage, 23(2), 596-603.
- Spinks JA, Zhang JX, & et al. (2004). More workload on the central executive, less attentional capture by novel visual distractors: Evidence from an fMRI study. NeuroImage, 23(2), 517-524.
- Leung HC, & Zhang JX (2004). Interference resolution in spatial working memory. NeuroImage, 23(3), 1013-1019.
- Zhang JX, & Johnson, MK. (2004). A memory-based, Simon-like, spatial congruence effect: Evidence for persisting spatial codes. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 57A (3), 419-436.
- Zhou B, Zhang JX, & et al. (2004). Spatial congruence in working memory: an ERP study. NeuroReport, 15(18), 2795-2799.
- Olson IR, Zhang JX, et al. (2004). Preserved spatial memory over brief intervals in older adults. Psychology and Aging, 19(2), 310-317.
- Zhang JX, Leung HC, & Johnson MK. (2003). Frontal activations associated with accessing and evaluating information in working memory: An fMRI study. NeuroImage, 20, 1531-1539.